Saturday, March 17, 2007

Petrified over easy


So I finally tore myself away from being a one-woman travel agency by day and an internet Veronica Mars aficionado by night, with occasional sneaking back to the apartment during the lunch hour for a fix, in order to post, post, post. Hmmmm... I've literally put a dent into the couch looking up plane tickets, train tickets, train passes, ferries, the Greek islands, the petrified forest of Lesbos, and, of course, the latest in "backpacking through Europe" fashions. I hear khakis and rucksacks are all the rage. Oh, and we were on vacation. But, that vacation isn't nearly as important as the vacation that is coming up in the next month and a half - the vacation to end all vacations, as well as our work contract, so when we get back, we'll be successfully unemployed. That vacation is what I've been concerned with, so much so, that I've made it my personal peroggative to make it the best freaking spring break ever. We're going to fulfill my long-lost dream of being a 19th Century aristocratic young man and visit all of those famous cities in Italy, as well as the cradle of modern civilization and democracy - good, old, Greece. Let's not forget the petrified forests of Lesbos, a fine exemplar of which is pictured above. It looks like a tree, but it is a rock, cause it was a tree a long long time ago. Really, plain words just don't do it justice and I really can't explain why I'd give half a pinkie just to see it in real life. Maybe it's cause one of my friends lives in Arizona and there's a smaller and less fancy petrified forest there, so when I do go visit him, I can lean back while we're having a drink or two, sigh, nod, and say something like "Yeah, the petrified forest is cool, but man, the one on Lesbos, now, that, you gotta see!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm dating this gal who loves Veronica Mars. She explained to me what the show was about in an effort to stir up my interest in watching it. Upon processing this information I called her a big fat NERD. I guess if you like it, though, maybe I owe her an apology.

PS: I cant help but comment that Greece seems like the cradle of the ANCIENT civilization eventually co-opted by Europe (by way of the Romans, the First Europeans in the sense that they possessed the element of Empire which the Greeks utterly lacked), which is correspondingly the actual cradle of MODERN civilization.

Who is the NERD now?
Miss y'all
Are you ever coming back?
???

om nom nom said...

so where do you guys plan on being at the end of may? where ever you go i will follow!